Monday, August 15, 2011

In The Beginning....

It was not my plan to go to the Holyland, I didnt even know this place existed. My mother had a friend named Denise Chapman and she was who I looked at a God Mother when I was a young girl. Denise had joined a church that had connections to the Holyland and had left the city of Ypsilanti years before I actually had contact with her again. It had to have been about 4 to 5 years that had passed and in between that time my mother had gone to prison, my grandmother had a stroke and I was left out on the streets to fend for myself. I had stayed with some of my mothers so called friends but I didnt know any family members that she may have had besides my Uncle Ted  (my mothers brother) who was financially in a position to take care of me and my two brothers but he had told my mother that he would only take me and not my two brothers and my mother told him that if he was'nt going to take all of us then she would just have us put into foster care.
I ended up living with a lady name Elaine Taylor who took me in as her daughter. She did have children of her own and at first they weren't too fond of her taking on another mouth to feed  but eventually learned to accept me. And believe me that road to acceptance was not at all an easy one to travel.
Years went by and at 16 and going into the 11rh grade I became pregnant. I had just ran away from my last foster care home to live with my mother. If anyone wants to know if abuse happens in foster care? The answer is yes, more than you could even imagine.  The social worker in charge of my case was looking for me, I didnt want to go back because I was tired of being moved from home to home while being asked to keep quiet about what went on  in the previous home by the very ones who were suppose to be helping me The State of Michigan (at this time I was legally a ward of the State of Michigan). So, I continued to move from home to home in an effort to make sure that I was not located. .
I found myself pregnant, with no food, no money and no one to turn to. Eventually I asked a friend of mine to let me live with her and she agreed. was hungry on day and headed to the Farmer Jack grocery store after I had gone to Kmart Department Store and helped my self to some necessities. There was a lady sitting outside the Farmer Jack grocery store selling peanuts and peanut brittle who began talking to me about the Lord and as we talked the name Denise Chapman came up and before I knew it I was on the phone with her and felt I had been reunited with My God Mother. We had a long conversation which led to me preparing to leave all and everyone that I knew the next day. I was told not to say anything to anyone just to be prepared to meet a lady by the name Ola Hinton who would take me to the Greyhound Bus Station and put me on a bus headed south and there I would be welcomed with open arms to a new family. I followed all instructions and I can remember thinking as I road on the bus ....is that I hoped I was making the right decision in leaving........and heading to a place that I was told was prepared and waiting for me by the people of  God.........

No comments:

Post a Comment